Madrona - News and Notes
Madrona is holding a second Open House on Thursday May 23 at 7 p.m.
- Please note that it will take place at our anticipated September 2013 location - Pear Tree Learning Centre.
- Pear Tree is located in Kitsilano at the southeast corner of Broadway and Stephens.
- We and they are currently in the final phase of completing the rezoning process necessary for us to move from our current location.
- The public hearing is scheduled for June 11. Neither City Hall, nor Pear Tree, nor Madrona expects any problem to arise in the course of the hearing. We anticipate that we will likely be given the green light to start accepting pupils at this location shortly after the hearing.
- The Open House will begin with a tour of the facilities. Following that, the Director will talk about the school in general, a current parent will speak, a current student will speak and our rezoning expert will give us a short update. We will keep all of this brief, so as to have time to meet with you one on one and answer your questions.
"The nurturing environment at Madrona has made a huge difference for my son in the past 5 months. He is much happier at school and at home. At school he fits in well with his classmates and feels safe to be himself . Madrona supports his strengths and works to mitigate his weaknesses while supporting his emotional needs. The teachers are sensitive to his needs but also demand effort and results from him. They are always looking for ways to motivate him to complete his tasks and to work more independently.
My son is much more like his real self these days, talking and laughing so much more. We feel that he’s slowly gaining self confidence. We’re optimistic that he is on the right path to becoming a more self-directed learner." Alfred and Teresa - February 2013
Madrona at a glance
√ We are a school of bright and gifted learners.
√ We accept Grades 1 to 7 students.
√ We instruct at ability level, not grade level.
√ We supply all students with Apple iPads and external keyboards as learning aids.
√ Our teacher-to-pupil ratio is based on a near-tutoring model in core subject areas.
√ We feature built-in enrichment modules.
√ We are inclusive, stimulating, supportive.